The memory card can be easily unreadable, damaged, or corrupted. In this case, it is not possible to access the data stored on it. The only solution for the user is SD card format.
How to format a flashable and unreadable memory card
It should be noted that the latest defective or unreadable SD card format is difficult to repair. If you have tried several ways to access information on it but have not found any answers, the last way to format a memory card is faulty . So let’s examine the methods of formatting a faulty memory card .
1- Format a defective memory card using the command prompt
If you are not interested in using third party software to format the defective SD memory card then you should use the Windows 10 command prompt. You can format your memory card by following a few simple steps.
Step 1 – Right-click the Windows 10 Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
Step 2 – In the Command Prompt window, type diskpart and enter. Here’s a list of all the devices connected to the computer. Look for the disk number on it .
Step Three – In the next step, type and enter the select disk <the disk number of your corrupted memory card>. For example, select disk 1
Step Four – After selecting clean, type and press Enter.
Step 5 – Now create and enter the partition primary. Then enter the format fs = ntfs quick and finally hit Enter.
Work is finished! With these few steps you can easily format the defective memory card using the Windows 10 command line.
2. Format the faulty memory card using EaseUS Partition Master
EaseUS Partition Master is one of the best partition management tools for Windows 10 . The outstanding feature of this program is its ability to format a defective MC . for this purpose:
Step 1 – Download and install EaseUS Partition Master on your Windows 10 computer.
Step Two – After this, run the program. Right-click the memory card you want and select Format.
Step Three – Next, you need to specify the file system type. Select NTFS from the list above.
Step Four – You’ll see a confirmation message when you’re done. Click OK.
Step 5 – Now you have to click on the Execute Operation button on the toolbar.
This is simply done!
How to Fix Corrupted Memory Card: Best Apps and Repair Tools
Types of SDHC card corruption
The most common cases leading to an SD card being not recognized by mobile devices are as follows:
- An SD card is physically damaged
- Erroneous partitions in the File Allocation Table of an SD card:
- as a result of failed file transfer (copy-paste or Ctrl + X)
- system crash on your computer (sudden power off) or on mobile phone
- Unknown reasons
Let’s list the typical symptoms of a corrupted SD card:
- Photos and videos open incorrectly or fragmentarily
- SD card cannot be read or is not recognized by the phone/PC
- You get a message on your phone that you cannot save files on your SD card
- SD card needs formatting but throws a message “SD card is not formatted, do you want to format it now?”
- OS shows reading errors, doesn’t respond when you try to connect your SD card to the computer
To fix a corrupted memory card you can use Command Prompt and chkdsk command; this utility is part of any Windows version.
How to use chkdsk to fix a corrupted micro SD card:
- Open Run menu via Start or using hotkey Win + R.
- Enter cmd
- In Command Prompt enter chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r
- Press Y to confirm chkdsk
Keys in chkdsk:
- Parameter /f – fixes errors on the memory card
- Parameter /r – fixes corrupted sectors on the disk
Chkdsk has other check parameters which can be viewed using switch /? .
If you don’t want to use a console utility to fix a corrupted memory card, another way is GUI shell. It can be opened in the Explorer:
- Start – Computer/This PC
- Right click on the SD card drive – Properties
- Tools tab – Check (now) button
As you can see, here you have the same options as in the console version of the utility.
Common SD card issues are caused by incorrect formatting. As a result,
- Damaged SD card cannot be read
- It is not recognized when connected to certain computer configurations
- memory cards with NTFS filesystem are not available for write access on Mac OS.
To avoid filesystem conflicts we suggest that you would always format your memory card to FAT or exFat (Extended FAT). It guarantees reading/writing files to use them on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
The free software SD Memory Card Formatter comes in handy here. It performs SD formatting, and this is all you want from it. SD Formatter does the job better than standard Windows formatting tools which are actually not that suitable for SD/SDHC cards formatting.
How to fix a memory card in SD Formatter:
- Download SD Formatter for Mac OS or Windows.
- Launch the app having acquired Administrator Rights.
- To connect your memory card to the computer, use a built-in or external card reader.
- In SD Card Format Tool settings specify not ‘Quick’ but ‘Full format’.
This is not the only utility which works with memory sticks, USB Disk Storage Format Tool being a great alternative. It is free and offers the same features: formatting to (ex)FAT/NTFS and file tree/clusters check for errors.
The disadvantage of formatting as a method of fixing errors is pretty obvious: you’ll lose all the files stored on the memory card.
Yet if your priority is to fix a corrupted SD card and get it functional again,
there is hardly any other solution than formatting.
a damaged memory card can be storing valuable files which can sometimes
be recovered but in a number of cases are irretrievable.
One of the most common cases is when the operating system suggests by far not the best solution
– to format your memory card which means removing all the information from it.
How to recover data from corrupted memory card without formatting
- Dismiss formatting request.
- Use recovery software (such as PhotoRec or TestDisk) to scan the memory card.
- Save the recovered files on your computer.
How to fix a corrupted micro sd card using PhotoRec: find out here.
Yes it is! Corrupted memory card can’t be fixed if the errors were caused by mechanical damage:
- If you dropped your memory card or stepped on it,
- If it got liquid spilt on it,
- And if your phone catches fire, the heat damages the memory card.
In case the problem is hardware-related, say it’s a Hard Drive or USB flash drive, the microchip can be replaced in a lab. Yet a really tiny SD card can’t be fixed, and the only solution is to replace a corrupted memory card with a new one. Visible mechanical damage, however, excludes free replacement under warranty.